Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ding Dong Bell


Because that’s as good a title as any for the nonsensical post that is to follow.

So I’ve continued to be insanely busy through August too. My work has suddenly picked up pace. The distance learning course continues to be demanding – lots of readings, regular assignment submissions etc. On top of this, I have taken on two personal projects – both of which require significant investment of time, effort and money. And because we are no staying with the in-laws, we have all sorts of family obligations to fulfill. It’s a classic case of biting off way more than I can chew.

I like my days to be full and busy – but this is too much, I say. I constantly feel sleepy and exhausted. The sense of being hassled accompanies me all the time. My social life has come to a standstill. If I so much as plan to go out for dinner on a weekend, I start to feel guilty about the billion things on my to-do list. And to add salt to the wound, some of the things I have been working on fell through, and that put me in a blue funk for a while. The worst part is that this situation won’t change till November.

Alright, now I’m done with the whining.

The best part of this month was that Nike and I took a short holiday to Cambodia. Yay! So we got engaged on August 15th two years ago – and since we just need an excuse to travel and since this August 15th holiday gave us a long weekend, we took another 3 days off and set off for Cambodia. I wanted to go to Kerala since I had already been to Cambodia, but Nike was keen on Cambodia, and because of all his dashed birthday travel plans, I graciously gave in to his wishes. I also made it very clear that next time, I get to decide our holiday destination, mutual agreement be damned. Ahem!

So Cambodia – which was just Siem Reap, actually – was all things fun and interesting. We stayed in this lovely little boutique hotel with a nice pool, and the most marvelous staff, and a four poster bed. It was wonderful. We had a really good guide who took us around the most important temples around the Angkor Park region for the first two days. And on the third day, we got this super-sweet and super-talkative driver who took us to the temples in the outskirts, and to the floating forest.

On the last day we just got long, luxurious massages, hung out with other travelers, shopped at the local markets, and just soaked in the very touristy atmosphere of Siem Reap. It was a lovely holiday, but it was also tiring and too short. And since I had a bad cold from the time my flight from Bangalore took off, I had pretty much drugged myself throughout the holiday, so when I came back home I was rather disoriented. I’ve been saying that I need a holiday from the holiday, but nobody listens to me.

Now I must be off, for tonight we are going to the old city area to check out the Ramzan festivities, and eat Haleem. 

9 comments:

smartassbride said...

you lead the most interesting life ever! *touchwood!*

Ramya said...

@SAB: Thank you :-) I often think so too, but right now its just more busy than interesting. I guess I'll just whine my way through till end-October :p

subbulakshmistoned said...

Wow, you guys.
Eat more Haleem for me. Also one Biryani.

Ramya said...

@Subbu: :-) Will do!

Preeti said...

Can I copy-paste your post? I seem to be in the exact same situation minus the glorious vacation to Cambodia! :D
I need a holiday so badly! And I too won't get this luxury till November. Patience. Sigh.

Ramya said...

@Preeti: B-school life! Yes, we both need patience...lots of it!

Anonymous said...

Ramya - I pretty much have a similar busy life like yours. I find that I'm constantly jogging with time to complete stuff.

I have a trick which I have been using for just over a year. It was a friend of mine who told me about this first at work and how he uses this technique to get in as much as possible. The trick is this, 3 days in a week, wake up at sunrise, and start the day from there. Simple. Since I have been doing this Monday, Wednesday and Friday I feel as if I have more time to do more things.

chandni said...

I could so trade your life for a while, just for a break you know! Hope the interesting times continue :)

Good luck!

Ramya said...

@thebritishasian: Inspired by your comment, I tried doing that. I got up at 6am, read the newspaper, ate breakfast, got a little work done. And then slept fro 9am to 1pm! Sigh! I don't know if that's going to work for me.

@Chandi:I'm all up for trading lives at this point. Somebody a billion times more efficient than I am should be living my life right now :-)

Post a Comment

Go on, make my day!